Friday, April 29, 2011

Painting #10: Are You Talking to Me?

I love the attitude and expression on the face of this cattle-dog mix.  This Rainbowdog portrait is a 20 x 20 inch square on gallery wrapped canvas with the painting continued around the sides.


Today was such a nice day I thought I'd take the dog (painting) out for some fresh air and see if I could get a color-accurate photograph of my portrait.  (What you see above has been photoshopped to get the color to look as close to real-life as possible.)


I have a deep respect for photographers. It is quite difficult to get accurate color reproduction, whether inside or using natural light.  No matter how sophisticated our automatic cameras get, I still believe there is no substitute for a knowledgeable and skilled photographer behind the lens. See how my dog looks a bit washed out in this photo?

For those of you interested in my process, here's a peek at my palette near the end of work on this painting.  Still not quite sure what I thought I was going to do with that cadmium red mixture there on the right. Certainly I did not use it much in this painting!



Would you like a Rainbowdog original of your pet? It's easy and fun to commission a portrait!

Just email me: janetburt@verizon.net, and we can design the portrait that's right for you.
You can get more information at my website: rainbowdog.net
Check out what's new on facebook: facebook.com/rainbowdogpetportraits

Rainbowdog Pet Portraits: Life's more fun when its colorful!

1 comment:

  1. Really takes an all black dog and makes it into something brilliant.

    ReplyDelete