Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Palm Beach Pooch

I'm just back from a weekend wedding near Palm Beach, Florida, but around the celebration I had time to stop in at the Flagler Museum, the former mansion of an oil and shipping magnate, and now a National Historic Landmark open to the public (that's me).



 When the house was completed in 1902, the New York Herald proclaimed it to be "more wonderful than any palace in Europe, grander and more magnificent than any other private dwelling in the world." Well lah-ti-dah! 

To enjoy the interior of the house on a personal level you would have to be a fan of gilding -- gilded ceilings, walls, furniture, you name it -- but I am not.  So, while the rooms were lavish and life was good, what interested me more were the photos of the Flaglers with their beloved American Eskimo dog Delos.

Here's Delos pictured with his "mom" Mary;

And here he is hanging out with "dad" Henry Flagler.  Since Delos seems quite comfortable riding on Henry Flagler's lap in the bike chair in this photo, I imagine he was allowed on the furniture somewhere in the house, if not in the grand ballroom.

I also took a shot of this nifty dog sculpture on the mantle in one of the bedrooms (right next to a gilded candle and wall sconce). No idea about the artist, unfortunately.

Back to the easel for now. If you'd like to commission a portrait, you know where to find me.

1 comment:

  1. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity is so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beautiful blog with me. I appreciate it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! All the best!

    ReplyDelete